About the Department
The Department of Biotechnology is a pioneering department, which harnesses and nurtures specific skill sets that integrates life science and technology, and the curriculum is constantly upgraded to suit the demands of the industry. Faculty members are trained both in reputed institutes and industries periodically in a constantly evolving field of engineering relevant to biotechnology. Currently, the Department of Biotechnology offers B.Tech.(Biotechnology), M.Tech.(Biotechnology) and Ph.D.(Full/Part-time) with a well-structured and balanced curriculum focusing on the major areas viz., Healthcare, Nutrition, Bioprocess Technology and Environmental Biotechnology.
From the HOD’s Desk
Dr. Baskar R, M.Sc., Ph.D
Associate Professor and Head
The Department of Biotechnology commenced its academic and scientific journey in the year 2002, and built up ambience and infrastructural facilities for effective academic and research activities over the period. Our students have excelled in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The faculty members engage in effective curriculum delivery and research on socially relevant projects. Most of our graduates get placed in life science related companies and the rest pursue higher studies in reputed institutes in India and abroad. Our graduates, spread all over the world, are the dynamic ambassadors of our performance.
Strong teaching and research foundation in the area of biotechnology and allied fields through knowledge dissemination to students and the public and to scale new heights in the frontier areas of health, nutrition and environment and ethics for welfare of humankind globally
- Develop and disseminate dynamic curriculum and syllabus to promote research culture.
- Encourage students to acquire entrepreneurial skills and setting up of start-ups.
- Train the students to find solutions for real-life problems.
- Groom students to uphold professional and leadership qualities.
- M.Tech Bio-Technology – R18 & Syllabus
- B.Tech Biotechnology R18 Curriculum & Syllabus
- B.Tech Biotechnology R17 Curriculum & Syllabus
- M.Tech Biotechnology R15 Curriculum & Syllabus
- B.Tech Biotechnology R15 v2 Curriculum & Syllabus
- B.Tech Biotechnology R14 Curriculum & Syllabus
- M.Tech Biotechnology R09 Curriculum & Syllabus
- B.Tech Biotechnology R09 Curriculum & Syllabus
The Department offers one-credit industry course in association with several industries in India. The courses are designed in such a way to add value addition and exposure to the students in the department thrust areas. Apart from value-addition, the course provides hands-on experience and awareness to the student which is critical at this present scenario for the booming biotechnology job market.
List of courses offered for both UG and PG Students
- Pharmacovigilance with Oviya Med Safe, Coimbatore & UK
- Mushroom Production with TNAU, Coimbatore
- Natural Products with Phytospecialities, Chennai
- Protein Purification using FPLC with GE, Bangalore
- Engineering Materials in Medicine, with NUS, Singapore.