About the Department
“Lead the digital age by Learning with Intelligent Machines”
School of Innovation
In the world of dramatic and accelerating change in the streams of technology, economy, culture, environment, and social dimensions, the role of an engineer has to be expanded to include the possibilities of serving as disruptive innovators, business leaders, technology visionaries, policymakers, and custodians of the earth. Thus, it calls for a program that serves as a platform offering knowledge, skills, and exposure to a multidisciplinary array of fields and areas spanning STEM, arts, humanities, design, innovation, business, leadership, and entrepreneurship.
Going from a teacher-centric approach to a learner-driven orientation, the very fabric of the program has been embedded with experiential learning, divergent thinking, problem-solving, creativity etc. to empower the learners to not only find stimulation for learning from discovering a higher purpose but also make them responsible for their learning objectives and knowledge outcomes.
B.Tech A& DS – A 360 Degree Immersion into Future Engineering
Technical competency – Inter-disciplinary exposure – Innovation Practicums – Social Externships – Incubation Bootcamps – Prototyping Semester – Corporate Internships – International Exchange – Research Immersions – Industry Mentor connects – Diverse career pathways.
These are just some of the learning experiences that make the B.Tech AI & DS at Kumaraguru School of Innovation, unique. Incubated in a working laboratory and built around the world-class CDIO Standard 3 integrated curriculum, this puts cutting-edge knowledge at the forefront of engineering education. B.Tech AI & DS is a carefully curated 4-year programme that brings together product, process, system thinking, eastern culture and interdisciplinary skill-sets, specifically tailored around data science and artificial intelligence. It is the outcome of several years of academic and practical research from the Kumaraguru College of Technology and Forge, India’s premier technology incubator. It draws from several proven curricular models that have been successfully implemented and from current learning systems that are practised in the best universities worldwide.
To embark as a school of innovation in the stream of data science for enabling global education, research and entrepreneurship.
The department is pledged to
- Hone students to excel in the traits of data science technology and professionalism
- Empower students to develop solutions for mutated technological problems of the society
- Inculcate industrial and entrepreneurial culture for their professional furtherance
Forge, an enterprise of the Sakthi Group and supported by Kumaraguru Group of Institutions, acts as a partner incubator that empowers Government, Industry, and Academia to exploit strategic opportunities through Innovation powered by deep-technologies such as artificial intelligence, data science, robotics, power electronics, augmented reality/virtual reality, and IoT.
By combining frontier Technology and future-ready Talent, Forge helps its Partners drive operational excellence outcomes and achieve business growth goals, through collaboration and co-creation with startups at speed and scale via a managed innovation framework.
Forge intends to bring a change and shift the focus towards industrial deep-tech startups which hold the key to solving India’s toughest challenges in areas like manufacturing, transportation, urban infrastructure, healthcare, agriculture, water management, and various other issues impeding the economic and social development of the nation.
To know more click below https://forgeforward.in/
Dr. Sudharson D
Gokul Kumar K
Smrithi Rekha Adinarayanan
The B.Tech DS and AI programme envisage becoming a pioneering model in bringing STEM, Arts and Humanities and Commerce together in exciting, relevant and carefully curated modules. The curriculum has been built with a modular approach to the fields of Artificial intelligence and Data Science on the strength of Math, Statistics, Computer Science and Basic Science. The framework was constructed with extensive analysis of necessary skills and the knowledge domains required for a highly-skilled graduate, from various reputed universities all around the globe. It gives an in-depth understanding of the core characteristics of the field of study and enhances the learning experience. The curriculum is designed based on the CDIO (Conceiving, Designing, Implementing and Operating real-world systems and products) Integrated Curriculum. In other words, the curriculum is designed with mutually supporting disciplinary modules, and with an explicit plan to integrate personal, interpersonal, and product, process, and system building skills.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
The graduates of this program shall have:
- A successful professional career in industry, government, and academia with capabilities to build innovative solutions using technology as a tool to solve real-world problems.
- Research capabilities in advanced technologies and shall contribute to a new body of knowledge.
- A learning mindset to continuously improve their knowledge, through on the job, formal and informal learning opportunities
- An ethical attitude and shall exhibit effective skills in communication, management, teamwork and leadership.
- Engineering, problem-solving and critical thinking skills to create social, economical and sustainable impact.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES:
After completing their graduation, students of AI & DS will be able to:
- Apply the principles of artificial intelligence and data science that require problem-solving, inference, perception, knowledge representation, and learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to create innovative solutions from idea to product, applying scientific methods and tools
- Exhibit strong professional skills to function effectively in multi-disciplinary and heterogeneous teams with a growth mindset.
Graduates of AI & DS programme will have the following abilities:
- PO1- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2- Problem analysis: Identity, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6- The engineer and society: Apply to reason informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9- Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The 4-year engineering programme in Data Science and Artificial Intelligence looks at the learning experience from a 360-degree perspective. Key dimensions include :
- Industry designed & delivered curriculum
Every module through the 4-year programme is designed to match the constantly dynamic world of data science and AI. The focus is on building real-world problem-solving capabilities through a robust theoretical foundation.
- Product-based Learning
Learning of the B.Tech DS & AI programme is driven by a large component of on-the-job opportunities. Students get to invest in concept-to-market product development and hone skills that cover the breadth of product design and delivery.
- Skill focussed education
The hardware incubator expertise to the programme builds a robust skill-building capability into learning. Skill development breaks away from traditional technical silo models and embraces a strong interpersonal, communication, art, design and cultural exposure as well. Going into the domains of DS and AI, these tools will enable professionals to look beyond ordinary solution frameworks.
- Integrated Curriculum
The CDIO Standard 3 – integrated curriculum apportions the right weightage to different disciplines that are necessary for a robust learning experience.
- E3 Mentorship Program
The B.Tech AI & DS programme offers three critical mentorship models that every student is connected with. The shadowing provides ample scope to understand real-world dynamics and upskills students during the period of learning.
- Expertise –
This module puts students in touch with industry practitioner/academician/research professionals, depending on the kind of professional pathway that individual choice is inclined to.
- Enablement –
This experience facilitates a collaborative learning approach under an alumnus/alumna.
- Experience –
Personal mentorship through a member of the extended family or immediate circles to understand cultural contexts of problem-solving
- Expertise –
ProtoSem is an innovation-centric programme that facilitates immersive learning and skills and competencies development. Experts, Mentors & practitioners, adaptive self-learning, in-depth tools training enables students to solve real-world problems by applying first principles of innovation, design and engineering and develop a tech-enabled solution for the needs of industry, corporations, start-ups, and society.
Fellowship opportunities allow the student to gain relevant work experience for about a year during the course of study. Fellowship in the specific pathway enables students to enhance the skills and competencies required for the future needs of society and professional development in chosen disciplines.
- International Study
As part of the Semester Abroad Programme, students will get an opportunity to take up relevant courses and learn cross-cultural environments with reputed overseas universities for about a semester/year.
- Growth Lab and Externship
Growth lab is a distinct KSI B.Tech DS & AI experience that brings students to significant externships, where a student can pursue independent interests in practice, explore and enhance their skills which inspire them apart from preliminary education. Growth labs also play an integral role as that stimulates in developing a student’s personality and skills in various fields of life.
The B.Tech DS and AI programme chalks out four principal pathways for students through their four years of learning. This is critical for engineering aspirants, for it tailors comprehensive immersions into the chosen discipline from Year 3, giving every student a 2-year exposure into relevant areas of focus.
Real-world problem solver who can lead the future of these technologies. The innovator specialised programmes will take students through detailed exposure in building solutions in real-time and take them through the trajectory of concept-to-market over the period.
Deep, a relevant researcher on these emerging technologies. The researcher will have ample exposure to deep dive into fundamental and applied research, test capabilities and build research solutions in real-time.
Deeply committed domain expert. This aspect of learning prepares the engineer to become a leader in DS and AI, driving excellence in problem-solving and analytical capabilities.
A person who can build an idea and take it through to the final product. The engineer-entrepreneur will have ample scope to ideate, build, research and take a product/service to market during the 4-year programme.