It is established that Research, benefits both economic and social development of the nation. We are technology driven society and it is important to undertake research in a sustained manner. This is the principal reason why worldwide enhancing education through research is talked about and pursued with earnestness. The interaction of academic institutions with Research establishments and industry, both in academic as well as sponsored research and consultancy helps in identifying new technologies and widening the knowledge base. This also helps in developing human resources by associating students at all the levels. Interactions and collaborations among Research institutions and industries in research and consultancy becomes an integral part of the innovation process and both the academic institution and the innovators are benefited, besides the end users .At the Institutional level, it helps in infrastructure development through resource generation and at the professional level, faculties establish contacts through participation in conferences, workshops, seminars and meetings of professional bodies.
In order to sustain these efforts, faculty members shall be motivated as follows.
Academic Ph.D Programme
PhD registration :
Faculty members with master’s degree may register for PhD programme in their proposed topic of research. Faculty shall follow the registration procedure of Anna University, Chennai
12 days of OD per semester will be permitted for the faculty to do research activities-meeting the supervisor, course work examinations, visiting laboratories and other research activities assigned by the supervisor. The above said OD will apply also to faculty who joins KCT after his/her PhD registration in the previous organization, if he/she wants to continue his/her PhD work.
Sponsored / Funded Research From External Agencies
Government agencies like DRDO, DST, ISRO, DBT, etc., provide institutional overheads for carrying out sponsored research activity. This is besides the other project costs like equipment, materials, consumables, travel etc. This overhead amount ranges from 10 to 15% of total project cost. This may be used with proper approval from the institution for agencies that do not provide institutional overheads like AICTE, industries, KCT will provide 6% of the project cost to Faculty. For travel related to sponsored research proposal presentation, prior to approval of the proposed project, KCT will support the travel as per eligibility norms for the faculty for sponsored research project, the incentives will be proposed and approved by management on a case by case basis.
Institute Funded Projects
For favorable consideration of project proposal by funding agencies, most of the times preliminary work in the relevant field is expected to have been carried out by the proposer. Towards carrying out such work, Management of the Institute may provide funds as per the Seed Grant Policy.
Testing and Consultancy works may be taken up by faculty to solve problems referred by industries and government agencies, wherein the professional expertise and knowledge of the faculty members as well as the infrastructural facilities of the College may be utilized.
For undertaking such assignments, the revenue generated from the consultancy work shall be shared in a proportion as per the approved norms.
International Journal Publication
Quality of research work is judged by the publication of work in reputed journals. In order to motivate quality research and publication of research findings in journals indexed in Scopus/WoS and SCI, faculty may be paid incentive of Rs.6000/- publication.
Attending Workshop, FDP, International Conference (within India) by faculty
At the professional level, faculty members establish network with peers through participation in conferences, workshops, seminars and FDPs. Towards this, the following arrangements will apply, subject to the approval of concerned Head of the Department with on-duty permission.
- Workshop/FDP –registration fee subject to a maximum of Rs.2000/-
- National Conference –registration fee subject to a maximum of Rs.1000/-
- International Conference (within India) – Full registration fee subject to a maximum of Rs.2000/-
Faculty members are eligible to draw the TA/DA, local travel, boarding and lodging charges as per HR policy.
Attending International Conferences (Abroad)
- Faculty will be eligible to attend International Conference to present paper once in three 3 years in the conferences organized by the Universities abroad. For attending international conferences abroad each faculty is eligible for the following.
- Registration fee subject to a maximum of USD 400
- OD will be given for the duration of Conference and travel time.
- International travel, lodging and local travel allowances will be paid/reimbursed based on HR policy.
Students are encouraged to take up part-time work on specific scientific/technical work relating to projects/consultancy with the approval of HoDs after office Hours and during holidays at KCT. This is expected to enhance their knowledge besides academics without conflicts in academic requirements. Remuneration to the students will be,
- For undergraduate students : Rs.100/hr
- For post-graduate students : Rs.150/hr
- For PhD students (Full-time only) : Rs.200/hr
Students can be assigned for a maximum of 60 hours in a month and theses remunerations are provided out of the revenue generated through the research/consultancy activities. HoDs shall maintain the attendance details of internship students and criteria for internship assignments. In case, if the remuneration is expected from the Institute, the request shall be submitted by the respective Faculty member through the Head of the Department to the Principal and same shall be reviewed and recommended by a Committee appointed by the Principal.
Faculty Members, Staff and Students are expected to follow the ethics of high standard that are elaborated in the Ethics and Values Policy of KCT. In addition, they will ensure / adhered to, that
- Whenever the research involves human subjects / responses obtained from different categories of respondents, the data collected / information gathered from the individuals shall be kept confidentially and references shall not be made to the individuals in any of the reports / publications.
- Address conflict-of-interest and procedures when the grants are received from external funding agencies.
- Researchers while publishing the research findings in the journals/ conferences/magazines should follow appropriate similarity (plagiarism check) with the existing findings.
- In case of previous research findings are referred for the publication of articles, it should be cited / acknowledged appropriately in the article.
- Copyright consent from the original authors shall be obtained before adopting the images/graphs and other IP related contents.
- Promote honesty, carefulness, responsible publication, and respect for intellectual property.