This is essentially carrying out research to find newer solutions for generic problems in the field of interest to research scholars/faculty members and this generally leads to the awarding of a Ph.D. or M.S. degree. Anna University has recognized 11 research centres in the following disciplines at KCT for carrying out research leading to their research degrees:
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Textile Technology
- Fashion Technology
- Management Studies
Besides enhancing the outlook of faculty members and the institution, such research also provides knowledge base with which they can take up applied research of current relevance to our industry. During the calendar year 2012, 112 faculty members were pursuing their research leading to PhD. Also during this period, PhD degree was awarded to 5 faculty members.
The Government of India through its various arms such as DST, DRDO, ISRO, AICTE, UGC, MOEF etc. is making funds available for carrying out application oriented research. Greater attention is given to use this opportunity to carry out application oriented research of national relevance.At the end of the academic year 2011-12, the college has been carrying out 12 sponsored research projects with grants totalling about Rs.1.5 crores.
A project entitled “Carbon Sequestration And Cultivating Algae For Green Bio-Fuel Production” is to be implemented under the National network program on carbon sequestration research at our college’s Chemistry Department by the principal investigator Prof.Dr.Syed Shabudeen.P.S. and Co-principal investigator is Dr.Shoba.U.S. with a financial assistance of Rs.55 lakhs. The target for this research is to develop a model of reducing the carbon di-oxide level in atmosphere by developing a photo bio reactor and utilize the biomass for green bio-fuel production.
DST has sanctioned a project to study and develop a technique for the `complete removal of recalcitrant synthetic dyes from textile wash liquor using organic solvents in multistage centrifugal extractors‘. This project, funded to the tune of Rs.25 lakhs, is being executed by Dr.S.Ramachandran, Principal and Dr. P.Ramalingham from the Department of Bio-Technology. This is expected to find a workable solution to the current problems faced by the garment industry and farming community in and around Tirupur.
A research project with funding over Rs.4 lakhs to study methods to `enhance shelf-life of liquid bio-fertilisers‘ has been sponsored by Tungabhadra Bio fertilisers, Hospet, Bellary. Research projects on `development of bioactive wound dressing materials’, `development of nonwoven interlining from silk selvedge waste‘, image processing and `experimental evaluation of pair programming effectiveness‘ have received significant funding from government agencies.
- Several research projects relevant to the needs of our rural people sponsored by Rural Technology Action Group at I.I.T. Madras have been successfully completed by our faculty members.
- In order to provide initial opportunities to demonstrate plans for experimental work, KCT’s management has been providing limited funds to faculty members with research proposals.
- The modernization of our laboratories with new equipment enabling more effective experimental work has received a boost through AICTE grants totalling about Rs. 25 lakhs during 2011-12.
- Intellectual property Rights (IPR) Cell
- Ph.D Full Time Scholars
- UGC-Minor Research Project
- Research activities
- Kct Tifac Core
- Structural Technology Centre