Awards and recognition
- P. Ramalingam won Best Scientific Paper Award for paper presentation titled Alkyl sepharoses – novel adsorbents for complete removal of mutagenic synthetic dyes for textile dying effluents for 4th National Conference on Recent Trends in Clean Technology for Sustainable Environment 15/09/2017 SSN College of Engineering, Chennai
- N. Sivarajasekar, APII received Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award – Young Scientist 2017 on 21/10/2017 Marina Labs, Chennai
- N. Sivarajasekar, APII received The IRES excellent paper award on the topic “Ultrasound assisted pectic polysaccharide extraction and its characterization from waste Cucumio melo peels” during International Conference on Food and Agricultural Engineering, Phuket, Thailand on 11-10-2017 The Institute of Research Engineers and Scientist (The IRES)
- R. Baskar, Associate Professor received “Best Academician Award” at Mumbai on 10.03.2018 from Combined Society for Educational Research & Development, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India
Awards and Recognitions
- A design patent granted on ‘’Gas flow measurement Tube’’ by Dr. M.Shanmugaprakash (Patent No.297724/65727/dated/21.09.2017)
- In 2015-16, the department received extension of accreditation status from NBA for another term of one year, maintaining its accredited status since January 2014 to July 2017 under OBE system
- M.Shanmuga Prakash, Assistant Professor (Sr.G) was given the best reviewer award from Journal of The Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers and Talanta in 2016.
- M.Shanmuga Prakash, Assistant Professor (Sr.G) was listed in Marquis Who’s Who in 2015.
- T.Sathish Kumar, Assistant Professor – III has successfully completed a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) on “MCB63X Principles of Biochemistry” conducted by Harvard University, USA, (Jan 16), BIOC300.1x, “Proteins: Biology’s Workforce” conducted by Rice University, USA, (Mar 16) and “Chemistry – Building Blocks of the World” conducted by Swinburne University of Technology, Australia (Aug 16).
- M.Shanmugaprakash, Assistant Professor (Sr.G) has won the mentor award from IIT–M NPTEL, April 2016.
- R.Baskar has been selected as e-content writer by University Grants Commission (UGC) to offer e-lessons on Food Biotechnology under Food Science and Nutrition under ePG-Patshala.
The department has signed Memorandum of Understanding with various industries in order to facilitate both industry interaction with students and faculties and also to provide core company placements.
- Senthil Papain and Food Products Pvt. Ltd., Coimbatore
- Pharmagenica Healthcare Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- Phytospecialities Pvt Ltd., Chennai
- TRM Biotech Pvt., Ltd., Erode
- Molecular Connections Pvt Ltd., Bangalore
- Pasteur Institute of India, Coonoor
Industry & Academia Partnership
- With CETP, Perundurai – a research project was completed; for another collaborative research project DST has sanctioned Rs. 27.85 lakhs from 2016-2018. Senthil Papain and SRM University – a collaborative research proposal was submitted to DBT.
- Two collaborative research projects with Leeds University, UK and Tel Aviv University, Israel are planned.
Internship Abroad And In Premier Indian Research Labs And Universities
- Gayathri Ram (13BBT101) and Ms. Sanjana M (13BBT046) was awarded with USD 1800 for summer internship in Tel Aviv University, Israel by TATA foundation, India.
|Ms.S.P.Harshini (13BBT016) Summer Research Fellowship by Indian Academy of Science, International Centre for Genetic Eng., and Biotechnology(ICGEB), New Delhi||Ms.Ferrin Antony (13BBT014)
for Summer Fellowship, by Centre for Cell and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad
|Ms.Sanjana Murali (13BBT046)
Summer Fellowship, Department of Biotechnology, IIT, Hyderabad and Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Tel Aviv University, Israel
|Ms. Gaythiri Ram(13BBT101)
Tel Aviv University, Israel.
Summer Fellowship, IISC Bangalore.
Gene editing technology by Masschusetts, USA
The students of biotechnology have also excelled in various extracurricular and co-curricular activities. They have represented both International and National Level Sports Events.
- Glory Vinishya (BT2008 batch) represented INDIA and won the Championship in INDO -SRILANKA – THAILAND Throw ball Championship Tournament held at Sri Lanka & Bangkok.
- Malarvizhi (BT2010 batch)won the first place in throw ball championship at Sri Lanka.
- Nivetha and Ms. Sasikala (BT2013)represented the Asian Fencing Competetion held in Thailand.
- Robin Richard (BT2015) – active NCC of our department won the second place along with his team during the Cultural of the Combined Annual Training Camp (CATC) held at K.S.R. Institutions, Tiruchengode
Research Scientist, Genentech, California
|Batch – 2006|
Scientist, Pfzier, USA
|Batch – 2007|
Research Scholar, Columbia University, USA
|Batch – 2008|
CEO, Trafalgar Bangalore
|Batch – 2008|
Indian Police Service(IPS)
|Batch – 2009|
Scientific Officer (R&D), Biocon, Bangalore
|Batch – 2010|
TNPSC Group II, Local Fund Auditor
|Batch – 2011|
Assistant Manager, ITC, Chennai
|Batch – 2011|
Assistant Manager (QC), Biological E
|Batch – 2010|