Structural Technology Centre
About the centre
The Structural Technology Centre (STC) has been established in the year 2003 with a view to take up Testing, Research and Consultancy projects in the areas of building materials for construction and structures. The STC aims to provide thrust to support infrastructure development and to enhance local technological capabilities through the use of improved new materials and versatile construction technologies. The centre has been systematically carrying out focussed consultancy work that is of strategic importance to the construction industry. The Centre also promotes testing services for building materials as per codal provisions.
The diversified services offered by the STC are as follows:
Testing Of Building Materials
- Tests on materials like cement, aggregates, concrete, steel, structural steel, wood/timber and ceramic tiles as per Indian Standard Specification
- Concrete mix design for various performance requirements like strength, workability, durability and pumpability as per codal provisions.
- Performance evaluation tests on concrete chemical admixtures and mineral admixtures.
- Load test on full scale/ size pre cast concrete/steel structural components using advanced data logger system and 200 ton load frame.
- Quality of water test to suit for concrete construction.
- Carrying out constructional quality assurance checks on site.
- Site inspection to improve quality of construction works as per the client requirement.
- Help the clients to negotiate contracts and agreements.
Soil Investigations And Foundation Design
- Carrying out field tests using SPT for different types of soils to assess the properties and strength aspects.
- Conducting relevant laboratory tests and analysis to suggest the types of foundation design suitable for different soil and load combinations.
Structural Diagnosis And Rehabilitation Of Structures
- Assessment of structures through NDT/Destructive tests to check structural adequacy for further modifications and constructions.
- Detailed calculation of the designs and drawings for restoration or strengthening of existing structures.
- Assessment of quality of in-situ concrete using NDT equipments and field suggestions for further modifications.
List Of Major Equipments Available At Stc
- RCPT equipment
- Corrosion Analyzer
- Humidity chamber
- Compression testing machine – 2000 kN
- Ultra sonic concrete tester
- Vibration measuring and generating system
- Rebound Hammer tester (Schmidt)
- Rebar Locator
- Structural test floor – 2v00 ton
- Flexural test floor – 30 ton
- Flexural testing machine – 1000 kN
- Load cell (30, 50, 100, 200 ton)
- LVDT (50, 100 mm)
- Concrete Permeability Apparatus – three cell
- Tile abrasion testing machine
- 20 channel data logger and data acquisition software
- Concrete mixer machine – pan type
- Computerised Universal Testing Machine – 1000 kN
- Hydraulic Jack 200 ton (push and pull type)
- Hydraulic Jack 30 & 50 ton, 200 & 500 KN
- Mortar blending apparatus
- Mortar cube vibrating machine
- Concrete cube vibrating table
- Hot oven (0 to 250 degree Celsius)
- Accelerating curing tank 12 moulds
- Blaine’s air permeability apparatus
- Electronic weighing balance – 30 kg
- Mechanical weighing balance – 200 kg
- Concrete penetrometer
Interaction with the construction industry:
- M/s. Grasim Industries Ltd (Cement Division), Coimbatore
- M/s. Shanthi Constructions, Coimbatore
- M/s. Vishwanathan construction PVT Ltd, Coimbatore
- M/s. Cee Dee Yes Housing and Infrastructure Ltd, Coimbatore
- M/s. Associated Cement Companies Ltd, Coimbatore
- M/s. KTVR Vijaydeepa group, Coimbatore
- M/s. Preamangala promoters, Coimbatore
- M/s. Sree Sabari Constructions, Coimbatore
- M/s. Airport Authority of India, Coimbatore
- M/s. EAST COAST CONSTRUCTION LTD, Chennai
- M/s. Creativity Constructions Concept PVT Ltd, Chennai
- PWD/CPWD/TWAD/RAILWAY/HIGHWAY Departments, Coimbatore.
- White House Residencies, Coimbatore
- Green Valley Promoters, Coimbatore
- Sahara City, Coimbatore
Testing and Consultancy Services
In-charge: Ms. K.RAMADEVI, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering