About the Department
The department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 1984. Our mission is to craft a research hub engaged in modern research in association with industries and other reputed institutions, instruct outcome based education (OBE) to students with up-to-date curriculum and content in harmony with industry requirements and foster a spirit of entrepreneurship among students to enable their own ventures. We are equipped with state-of-the-art workshops, laboratories and computing facilities. Several of our graduates are occupying responsible positions in various Industries like L & T, Mahindra, Pricol, TVS, and Bosch and are holding responsible positions in premier educational institutes in and outside India. The department has highly qualified and experienced faculty members; many of them are with Ph.D. degree.
The department has a well-equipped integrated workshop facility which caters the needs of various departments. The department being recognized as a research centre by Anna University from April 2003, is actively engaged in research and our thrust areas are Bio-Materials, Composite Materials, Welding, Metal Cutting, Energy Engineering and optimization. The faculty members actively engage in research and constantly publish papers in International and National Journals. Guest lectures and industrial visits are periodically arranged for the students to enhance their curriculum. We strive for all round excellence in students, encouraging them in all extra-curricular activities.
The department has research projects funded by Department of Science and Technology (DST), All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Naval Research Board (NRB) to the tune of more than 1 Crore for conducting research in Biomaterials, Composite Materials, Welding and Metal cutting.
To facilitate mechanical engineering education, research and services that contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge leading to social development.
The Department is committed to provide quality education and training with emphasis on engineering fundamentals and applications to the students to be competent professionals with ethics. The department executes research and provides engineering services for sustainable development of society.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO’s)
1. Graduates will take up careers in manufacturing and design related sectors.
2. Graduates will be involved in the execution of mechanical engineering projects and service sectors.
3. Graduates will take up educational programmes in mastering mechanical engineering and management.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
1. Apply the fundamentals of science and mathematics to solve complex problems in the field of design and thermal sciences.
2. Apply the concepts of production planning and industrial engineering techniques in the field of manufacturing engineering.
Engineering Graduates will be able to :
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
From The HOD’s Desk
The Department of Mechanical Engineering being one of the versatile departments of the Institute is well equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories for providing hands on training to all the Students at Under-graduate, Post-graduate and PhD levels. The Department lays emphasis primarily on preparing the students to accomplish focused expertise in areas of their choice.
We are transforming our students with a perfect balance of intellectual and real-world experiences that help them in serving the demands from our society. Academic course works and projects are designed to endow students with the ability to apply the knowledge of Science, Mathematics and Engineering and the capability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary teams exhibiting leadership and technical skills.
Both Undergraduates and Postgraduates are placed in prominent industries and notable cluster of them are pursuing higher education in National and International Institutions. We will catch you up with updated information about the upgrades in our research facilities and department events then and there through this web page.
-Dr. C. Velmurugan,