ELECTRONICS AND COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
About the Department
The Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering was started in the year 1987 with the idea of equipping young people with the necessary technical knowledge and professional skills needed to address the challenges in the rapidly growing field of Electronics and Communication Engineering and promoting research in this area. In the world of Smartphones, this department has a very significant role to play. Instigate an eye for detail inside the minds of youngsters and there is they come up with a lot of innovation in electronics. For this mission, the Department is fully equipped with state-of-the-art laboratories such as DSP, VLSI, Optical & Microwave, and RF/Communication.
Electronics & Communication Engineering Department is a dynamic and vibrant department with about 35 highly qualified, experienced and dedicated faculty members. There are 4 professors,7 Associate Professors and 3 Assistant professors.
To be a centre of repute for learning and research with internationally accredited curriculum, state-of-the-art infrastructure and laboratories to enable the students to succeed in globally competitive environments in academics and industry.
The Department is committed to:
* Achieve excellence in academics and research
* Empower students to apply acquired knowledge and skills innovatively to meet evolving global challenges and societal needs
* Inculcate right attitude and leadership quality in students
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO 1: Graduates will have successful career in electronics, communication and associated industries or pursue higher education and research.
PEO 2: Graduates will adapt to evolving technological challenges, learn continuously and provide sustainable solutions for societal problems.
PEO 3: Graduates will contribute as a technical professional individually and in teams, adhering to professional ethics.
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
13. Creativity and Innovation: Ability to apply acquired knowledge and skills creatively and provide innovative solutions for problems in the domains of Signal processing, Communication, Embedded systems, VLSI and Networks.
14. Analysis and Design: Ability to use appropriate simulation tools to analyze and develop optimal, model based solutions for complex problems in the domains of Signal processing, Communication, Embedded systems, VLSI, Networks.
From The HOD’s Desk
Department of ECE, since its inception in the year 1986, has been in the forefront of imparting quality education to students. The success of the Department is amply reflected in the outstanding achievements of the students employed both abroad as well as within the country. All these laurels are due to the contribution of the well-qualified and motivated faculty, state- of-art laboratories which are constantly augmented, the immense support from the management of KCT and the efforts the students put in to reach the top.
The Department of ECE has 15 laboratories, a separate Department Library, a Seminar Hall, adequate class rooms and other facilities. Laboratories are equipped with computers and software packages such as Matlab, Metrowand, Xilinx Ise, Cadfeko, HFSS and Cadence. The students are encouraged to participate in co-curricular and extra-curricular events at the National level. They excel and bring laurels to the Institution. The faculty members are encouraged to enhance their knowledge by attending Faculty Development programmes. They publish papers at the National level and International level conferences. They also publish their papers and projects in journals.
The Department is a recognized centre for Ph.D. The Faculty members of the Department have also undertaken prestigious Projects from leading agencies such as AICTE (under MODROBS/RPS), ISRO & DRDO. Through these projects, the Department has raised up to Rs. 50 Lakhs. The Curriculum is a continually upgraded one designed to meet the ever changing needs of technology. This helps not only in laying a strong knowledge foundation but also in enabling the students to opt for the coveted career in the core-sector. In all, the Institution and the Department are constantly evolving towards greater heights to serve the needs of the society and meet the aspirations of the student community.